Sunday 8 January 2017

Man of the Year 2016

It seems like it’s a bit late in the day/New Year to make an announcement about 2016.  Please forgive me dear reader.  I have had the plague and therefore, have been incapable of most important things in life, including writing.  However, my confinement did give me time to reflect, and in turn, to produce a robust shortlist and declare an overall winner of my Man of the Year 2016. 

My Dad
It’s 15 months now since you left us suddenly Da.  It was a great relief to get over that first horrible year of ‘firsts’ and the second Christmas without you was easier.  I even managed to extract Mam from the family farm in Meath for Christmas for the first time in over 40 years and come to Kildare.  What do you think of that? 

You will probably think it’s a pile of shite, but the reason for the nomination, is for the inner strength that I have developed this year and I’m 100% convinced that you sent it to me, regardless of what you say.  There have been strange happenings and lovely things that are beyond explanation that I can only attribute to you.  So suck it up Da and accept it. 

My Son
Darling Boy, I’m sorry.  Separation isn’t easy on children of any age and within that, some children hurt more deeply.  I wish I could take back every tear that you have shed – I’d take them in lashes if I could.  For every time you rested your head on my chest, the hugs and kind words.  For taking my hand (even in public).  Thank you for coming back to me.

The Date
For restoring my faith.   Sorry about the broken leg, not that I am taking responsibility for that.  Between the two of us, a lot of healing took place.  And fun.  Lots of fun. Just bad timing babe. 

Feckin’ Fecker
There are many that will raise an eyebrow about you making the MOTY16 list, because let’s face it, Feckin’ Fecker, you weren’t that nice to me.  But I have taken on board everything that you said to me, about me.  You had me pretty well sussed, which I didn’t give you credit for at the time.  Still, a Christmas or New Year text message wouldn’t have killed you, would it?  

Man in Uniform
For the pep talk.  For encouraging me to stand up for myself, when the words wouldn’t come.  For the reassuring nod when words weren’t an option.  For giving me my life back.

The Foot Soldiers
Too many soldiers to refer to individually.  For all of the random acts of kindness.  The friendships. You know who you are.

Ernest Shackleton

Ernest, you were sort of foisted on me within my work portfolio about 18 months ago and from the start, you were trouble.   Every element of the sculpture commission– the eTenders procurement process, the opposition to the sculpture from a small, but vocal group (they called you a British mountaineer, amongst other things, you know), the tight time frame, the location for the sculpture - was tedious and stressful.   You brought tears and sleepless nights and nightmares.  Had it not been for the good humour and amazing skill of sculptor Mark Richards, I may have gone insane in the run up to the installation.  To keep an element of surprise for the formal unveiling, I was hoping that you would be, quite literally, under wraps, during installation.  That wasn't to be.  En route to oversee the installation, my phone beeped with photos and videos of the sculpture arriving in Emily Square in Athy.  The reaction was an overall ‘wow’.  When your granddaughter was given a preview of the sculpture, she walked away.  I panicked that she didn’t like the representation, when in fact, she was overcome with emotion.  Your official unveiling on 30th August last, received worldwide media attention worldwide.  I often visit you at weekends and without declaring my association, I enjoy the reaction to you from visitors.   You really are a fine fella.  

Your unveiling, in the presence of the Irish Naval Service was not only one of last year’s highlights, but also of my modest career.   Like your Antarctic expeditions, to me, it was 'epic'.  So for that Ernest, congratulations, you are my Man of the Year 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment